Cob: mixing cob/clay was: poor & new

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Oct 4 14:52:05 CDT 2001

cob is actually 1/4 R per inch..it is mass not thermal.

sound like she has "enough" as Joe Dominguez (your money or your life
fame) said.

Best bet for some heat is to make light straw clay or woodchip/sawdust
clay tamped between forms, as Ken Kern promoted, and as the germans do
nmow. This is my favorite technique in addtion to earth bag as just some
mixing is done and the mix is poured and lightly tamped into place.

as you all may know I use a 1950s wringer washer as a mixer, and mix
paper clay lime, sawdust, other fibers to make a good thick or thin
material for MANY uses..right now it's sculpted and formed pottery and
garden stuff..stepping sones, fill in gor a slope are ( used Mt St
helen's ash & lime & clay with coffee grain sized sawdust to make a
poured step off, holding up great..except for the bear paw print and
racoon print the first night!! no kidding..now I look twice when I step
outside after dark for 'ole bear)

in any case, I ramble..wringer washer is a GREAT agitaor to mke the clay
slip and also for the fiber mixing, will try chopped straw soon. best
part is that you can make a wetter mix then let sit a few days, or
remove and let drain/dry up a bit to get a thick malleable dough easy
for shaping.)

Pics of the mixer ( I named him Dewey, are at the site below)
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com