Cob: RE: Cob

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Oct 4 15:30:36 CDT 2001

I do have support beams with my cob walls but that is because
I felt having a roof over the walls as I build would be a good idea.
I sort of knew I was going to take a long time. I have now built the cob

wall up to the roof that was held up by the beams. It is only a light
roof
(roll roofing on slats) I will make it a ferro-cement roof next year.
My support posts are smaller in space size that the thickness of the
wall.
My house is quite organic and may not appeal to the more conventionally
oriented folks.

I started about 3 years ago (loose track at this point)
yes I got a building permit, put in a septic tank, put in a well, and
even had
two phone lines for a while. Oh yea, even hot water on the shower.

At the time I started building there were no codes for my country, none,
zero.

Now... ain't so.

Main (county) rules, must have septic 100 ft from well.
Trailers must be skirted,
electric wiring  must be inspected.

Thats about all I know for rules.
But I doubt they'd give me a permit now.
Sad as my house will outlive any of them or their houses.
It seems more about putting money in peoples pockets, rather than
letting people develope there own house. I could understand if I
was asking for a loan, or going to use it as rental property.

My foundation is made from  earth bags and stablized earth.
My soil is very sandy so it's pretty close to cement.

As far has what they do?
You guess is as good as mine as it would vary from location to location.

Oh yea, for propane (I cook on propane) I just carry the barbeque size
tanks
to the propane guy and have him fill them. I have about 7 or 8. I use
them
for some smaller space type heaters too, but My main heat is wood.

I live in a mild climate (middle ga)
and the sandy soil seem to have no problem holding the load of the
house.

Most folks on this list have already seen all my photos, but
if you haven't you can see them at
http://wwww.gnat.net/~goshawk

They are a bit outdated but I haven't been up to taking new pictures
yet.
Maybe before the year is over I can handle it.

Love and Light
Pat