Cob: Variety is the spice of life, and cob is no exception

Nampsoscoke at aol.com Nampsoscoke at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 15:19:27 CDT 2001

Hey all,

I've been lurking somewhat on the list for the last few weeks - it's sewing season for the Faires and I've had a few commissions come in. It was actually this latest spate of non-cob-research projects that led me to find the following link. I thought I would share it with everyone as a point of curiosity.  I know there are folks out there who cherish their particular building methods, and those who are interested in the broader history and application of this construction method. I send this not to rile up any particular cob encampment...I just thought it an interesting look into the development of wattle and daub technology.

The link, http://www.regia.org/houses.htm  comes from an anglo-saxon reenactment web site out of England. The drawings are clear and there is a great deal of useful information.

I can't remember the name of the good lady who was looking for information on inexpensive temporary shelters - but this site's info, combined with the techologies already discussed would probably suit her needs, provided there is enough lumber on site for the bones of the building.  After one's own permanent structure is completed, the saxon longhouse makes a great workshop or outdoor cookhouse. I saw this design and immediately thought maple sugar house. *grin*
Your mileage may vary - I suppose a lawnmower storage area would be just the thing too.

-WJ