Cob: We Poor Cold Climate Cob builder wanna be's...

Nampsoscoke at aol.com Nampsoscoke at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 15:56:32 CDT 2001

To the New Englanders on the list, I haven't forgotten y'all. I'm still in the process of interviewing town planning boards and code offices in Maine to find out what construction methods will be looked at with an eye of friendliness.  From my initial investigations, straw bale seems to be gaining in acceptance in some quarters, perhaps a cob/strawbale combination with limewash plaster would be a nice foot in the door for setting precedent.

Common questions I receive relate not so much to the heat retention qualities. Primary concerns from code offices include quality of materials - there is a general uneasiness that without a "standardization" of the mixture of sand and clay they won't be able to determine what combination is a safe structure. An important factor, one that I believe has already been thoroughly discussed here. Proving viability of the compound as mixed by an amateur homebuilder and not a commercial builder is going to be an interesting challenge. Anyone have any stories to share on that score, preferrably from folks living in cool wet climes?

Other questions related to foundations, and wiring concerns. We discussed things like pvc pipes through cob walls to run cabling through, and how one would cap it so as not to lose the insulating properties of the cob. If anyone has any fabulous techniques for this that would work on a year round home in a cold winter clime and would like to share the info, I'll send you some apple butter. :)

Regarding foundations, I couldn't get one code officer to let go of the idea of a cement foundation. I personally find the idea of paying the licensed bandit called the cement company to pour a highly dubious foundation ludicrous. The difficulty in proving my case that cement is not the only option showed my inexperience, with my inability to explain how a cob house could have a solid foundation, sans cement or radon-laden stone in New England.  Also at issue is how to deal with the area's pervasive problems of deep frost and rising damp at the equinoxes. (Anyone have answers to this?)

I inquired also as to the viability of a thatch roof in our area, and was nearly laughed out of an office. So now I'm contemplating the Scandanavian style turf roof as an option. I hate the idea of a tar shingle roof. They are ugly, and thanks to my experiences as a firefighter I have another reason to despise them.
I've seen turf roofs in my travels in Norway, and they are beautiful as well as durable if properly maintained. Some examples were over a hundred years old, according to my Norse guide and friend. I'd probably try to plant a blooming ground cover in it.
Anyone have any good references on how to set a turf roof?

Rambling regards,

-WJ