Cob: Question: cob foundation in clay-rich soil

Carla Kennedy carlaevans at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:05:08 CDT 2001

I have been reading this list for awhile, but I think it's my first post.
I'm planning to start a cob house on my land in Oklahoma next summer, and
have been soliciting general building information from several people.  My
grandfather was a builder and my uncles all grew up building houses for him.
  There is one thing that I was told that I would like more information on.
My uncle claims that a solid concrete foundation is necessary in Oklahoma
because the earth is predominantly red clay, and it's a little like building
on a slow moving stream.  The clay is constantly flowing and will crack your
walls.  I tend to believe him, but am interested in any thoughts on the
matter, especially if you've got experience building in the area.
(Oklahoma, Arkansas, North Texas)
If I do end up using a standard foundation, how does that impact the rest of
the building process?  What would I have to do differently?
Thank you!
Carla