Cob: Re: SB: cement mixer mortar mixer hot water

Robert W. Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 6 17:09:52 CDT 2001

10/6/01 7:04:47 AM, "Theodore L. Stacy" <tlstacy at niia.net> wrote:

>Instead of a cement mixer, try using a mortar mixer.  The difference is that
>a mortar mixer has blades that move, whereas the cement mixer has a drum
>that moves.  Keep those hands OUT of the mixer!  We are mudding our sb walls
>today and will be using the mortar mixer with clay slip, sand, lime, fiber,
>straw, and wheat paste.  Will post if we run into any problems.
>
> ideas for heating the mix water so we don't freeze our petunias?

If all one has is a cement mixer, then it can be used to satisfactorily mix mortar
if the drum is held so that its axis of rotation is closer to horizontal.

A flat bar ( ie  38 mm (1.5") wide x  5mm (3/16") stock by about 800mm (32")
long)  makes a nice poker/scraper to coax stubborn globs off of the interior
surfaces while mixing, instead of trying to stick one's hands (or head) in.

For warm mixing water... how about a small greenhouse made out bales
and salvaged patio doors  to enclose at least two, black 45 gallon drums ?
(ie bales on the east,west and north elevations, sloped glazing (ie patio doors)
on the south.)

During the day, the patio doors are kept closed except when refilling 5 gallon
buckets for mixing water. At night, a reflective "Space Blanket" could be draped
over the glass and then some bales placed over top to keep the thermal mass
(the water in the 45 gallon drums) warm overnight, then peeled back again
the next day to recharge them again.

If the walls are already up and windows already installed, some bales could be
stacked up on the inside of a window to create a small solar closet in which the
drums of water could be solar heated & stored,  again with moveable insulation
installed at night.

--- * ---
Rob Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
<FlotsamArchiLogic at yahoo.ca>
(jettison the flotsam before responding)

Please visit http://www.theHungerSite.com daily