Cob: Question: cob foundation in clay-rich soil

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Oct 16 01:05:23 CDT 2001

[snip]
> > For additional attachment strength, you might want
> > rebar sticking out
> > of the top of the foundation so it will stick up
> > into the cob wall, though
> > others on the list probably have more experience
> > with conventional
> > foundations and cob than I do.
[snip]
> i have read that it is not advised to have rebar from
> the concrete foundation to extend inside a cob wall
> because of water problems. from my understanding,
> water migrates up the steel, and/or the steel acts as
> a condensation surface, and ends up inside the cob
> walls causing various problems. a "key way" - which is
> a groove in the concrete - could be used to help the
> cob wall make a solid connection with the concrete
> foundation.

Some good points, I have never used cob with a conventional foundation,
and it has been quite awhile since I reviewed more conventional foundation
designs, so maybe the rebar is a bad idea.  Maybe someone else on
the list with experience using cob with conventional foundations could
respond with their experience and recommendations?