Cob: Cast earth countertops?? WHY NOT STONE!!!

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Oct 22 00:43:26 CDT 2001

Ocean,
  I don't know where you get you $50 price for an imported slab of
counter, but it's not here.   From looking around here I'd have to pay
upwards of $400 and I couldn't be to choosey about the shape and
dimenstions of the slab.  Then upon buying one, I'd have to custom
build/mold a stand/base for it.

Ocean wrote:

> Well, if cost is your problem, then please consider that linseed oil is
> about $10 a gallon, beeswax is even more money...after casting an earthen
> counter and then waterproofing it, you exceed the $50 an imported slab of
> flagstone might cost.  If you want to do it cheap, just use concrete!
>
> BTW:  I've found most natural building solutions are not inexpensive, and
> obey the same time-cost-quality triangle rule that conventional building
> techniques follow.  (Trying to save time or cost affects quality...etc)

Not necessarily.  In fact there do exist solutions that save both time
and money, while providing better quality as well.

But, I am very skeptical about the strength of the plaster of paris
eart, (cast earth) as well as water resistence.

Darel