Cob: RE: Re: Cistern

Jud Malone jmalone at bcgtrans.com
Fri Oct 26 12:16:50 CDT 2001

I made a small tank(about 100 gallons)using this method:

Dig a hole, however much water you want to store, that's how big the hole
is.

Use chicken wire and rich cement(NOT concrete mix) to make ferro-cement
walls in the hole.

This is a good way to make a very strong wall using little cement.  The more
gentle the slope you have on the walls of the hole, the easier it is to do
this.  The way I did it was to lay several layers of the wire on the walls
and floor of the hole, holding it down with rocks whenever necessary, then
simply trowel the cement into the wire, covering it completely.  It took me
a little while to get the hang of it, but after that it went pretty
smooothly.

I waited a couple of days to let the cement cure and then let it fill with
water.  It has been through 2 cold winters (-20) with no cracks at all.

I didn't put a cover on it because I just use it for watering plants, but on
my next one, for drinking water, I plan on using maybe an old satellite dish
for the cover.  I'll cut out a hatch, and apply ferro-cement directly on the
old dish.  It should be strong enough to hold a few inches of dirt with just
the chicken wire, but if I'm feeling unsure I'll use some rebar too.  The
dirt will provide some insulation in extreme temperatures.  The tank being
in the ground will help as well.

A wooden, insulated cover could also be made pretty cheaply using styrofoam
insulation, or even an old car hood if you're not worried about the water
freezing.  I've seen alot worse.

Jud