Cob: Formal Proposal

John Fordice otherfish at home.com
Fri Oct 26 13:37:45 CDT 2001

Pack,
I'm an architect in California. I've built a couple of cob structures in
the size range you're considering & have done spreadsheet proposals for
one which is almost finished & one which is waiting funding. I also have
some strawbale experience.  What you are proposing is noble and a way
for you to gain considerable experience.  It is also a means to get some
natural building structures out there for the world to see and become
aware of.  I could possibly assist you in collaboration with others who
might sign-on with experience in the other areas you propose.

The fire of your enthusiasm is wonderful, however I feel the need to say
that in my perception and experience there is perhaps a problem with the
basic premise.  Using the current "green" mainstream catch-word for
doing things in an ecological way: i.e. "sustainable",  the concept of
working in a world ( the culture we live in ) without just compensation,
when that is the means of survival, is unfortunately on both personal
and effectiveness levels not very "sustainable" .

I've harped on this before on the coblist ( although it was a while ago
).  It's all fine & well that those of us inclined to passion and love
go diving off into the mud and creating beauty, but to do so in the
concept of righteous poverty is also one of the things that helps keep
natural building marginalized.  We're like gnats on an elephants ass.
The world of "normal" mainstream build is clicking merrily along all
around us, obliterating the landscape and doing it's level best to help
pollute the planet & meanwhile we natural builders are off over here in
some wee corner doing our thing & being less effective than we might.

Your exciting proposal is going to be a bloody lot of work.  I've lost
track of the number of time folks have come to me with fire in their
eyes about building inexpensively with cob or strawbale, only to
disappear when the reality of the devotional level of work needed as a
trade off for meeting the magical $500 house goal really sinks in.  It
is only the truly stubborn who can bull, or slip, or shimmy their way
through it all and make it happen.  Perhaps you're that person.

When people approach me now about cob projects, I tell them that I'd
love to be involved, but I need to be paid.  After spending almost three
years of volunteer weekends on a wonderful project in Berkeley, I've
been there & done that.  The knowledge & hard earned skills are now in
this brain & hands and can help make cob happen, but the value to the
recipient must be acknowledged.  To quote a line from the film Jerry
McGuire, " show me the money".   Terse, perverse and limiting it may be,
and it scares away more that it encourages, but if I and others who
choose to make cob our livelihood are to survive, this also needs to be.

I've been trying for over five years now to drum up interest in
developing a relevant building code for cob as a way of cutting the
Gordian knot that is keeping cob bound to the margins.  It's a huge
project that needs at least half a million dollars and two years minimum
out of a life to make it happen, but it's a must.  Once cob and other
natural building is opened to the mainstream, it will explode.  When
folks see that they can build hassle free anywhere with the earth and do
so in their own self interest, there will be no stopping it.  It will
range from the horrible most ugly.........to the sublime, but it will
happen and that's what truly matters.

So I laud you and all of us the pursuit of the dream.  I'll be happy to
join in as time, energy and funding allows.

john fordice