Cob: Formal Proposal

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleim at mail.bloomington.in.us
Sun Oct 28 10:49:15 CST 2001

Pack,

To back up what John was saying, I also think you should be realistic
about how much time and energy this project will involve and make
sure you pay yourself in your grant proposal. My husband and I were
filled with the same enthusiasm four years ago. We didn't have land
to build on and were just itching to get something going. We
convinced a local community to let us build a 200 sq. ft. cob guest
house for them. The budget seemed high at $2000. Over the next three
years this project consumed our lives. Every weekend from april
through november was spent working on the project, organizing
workdays or feeling guilty about not working.
Although we learned a lot and exposed many people to building with
cob, we have still not finished the project and are now planning on
turning it over to the community to complete. They will most likely
knock the cob off and use a different material to complete the walls.
What we learned was that when you are building for someone else and
not being compensated for your work it is very difficult to keep the
momentum up over the long time frame that it takes to complete these
buildings.
Incidentally the budget was upped to $3000, but it looked like it
might have taken more like $3500 to complete. This is for an
approximately 200 sq. ft. cob building with a rubble trench
foundation, 2 ft. sandstone plinth, one recycled door,seven scratch
and dent windows (about $80.00 a piece), earth floor, fireplace,
electricity, no plumbing, and a metal roof. We used many recycled and
found materials for this building. The big costs were for a back hoe
to dig the trench, having rubble, sand and clay delivered 15 miles
out of town, new windows (requested by the community), and the metal
roof. I know that it is possible to build structures for much less
but when you are building for someone else, you don't always get to
choose your materials.
We are also on a building committee for a cordwood hermitage that is
being built by a quaker group. The structure is 12'x 16' and is
estimated at $15,000. This includes $900 for wood and $4000-$5000 for
labor to build the timber frame. I don't have the full budget here,
but it will be off the grid and have an indoor composting toilet, new
windows and doors, a porch on one side and deck on another, a wood
roof and a corner post and dry laid stone foundation.

I find your project very interesting and would like to know how it is
going. please put me on whatever list you form.

Keep the momentum going.
Jeanne