Cob: Re: Re: Time and cost?

Vicki Wicker vcwicker at asub.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:20:18 CST 2001

I'm not seeing how you get a strawbale house costing 20% more than
conventional stud house. We're working on a house plan now and just
standard bat insulation was going to be double the cost of the bales for
half the insulation value. Foundation and roof essentially the same, as
well as fixtures. So, the cost difference would be what it costs to side
and sheetrock a stick frame to what it costs to stucco the strawbale. If
you use earth plasters, I think strawbale will come out ahead with higher
insulation.
What I see people doing with strawbale is putting up their walls, and
having their foundation and roof professionally done. Whereas they wouldn't
undertake trying to build a framed house. Also, floor is a huge expense. We
did an 600 sq ft. earth floor, finished, for a load of fill ($115) a load
of sand ($115, still lots left),  @$50 worth of portland and probably $30
worth of linseed oil and mineral spirits. Estimate 50 cents a square foot
for the entire floor system. Nothing in conventional construction comes
even close to that.
We debated long and hard about cob, because we have good cob soil here. But
its the thermal mass thing that has worried us. Our summers are extremely
hot and extremely humid. My concern was that by late august we would be
living essentially in a self made oven. Once those wall heated up, they
wouldn't have a chance to cool down until maybe November!
But, we've only completed our bermed basement section (concrete
block/living roof) as of now, so we're still open to possibilities.