Cob: Re: Re baking in earthen walls?

Steve Lewis seaweedsteve at newmexico.com
Thu Nov 1 01:28:09 CST 2001

I've always thought that adobe (cob)  houses are perfect for areas like the
Southwest where sunny days and cool (to cold) nights are common year 'round.
You can selectively load on sun in the fall/winter with passive solar and
can dump heat in the summer at night by ventilating. With the thermal mass
approach, it is not so important to have an airtight house.  You can have
more fresh air.

Of course straw works great in the Southwest too, and can also benefit from
internal thermal mass and passive solar.

On the other hand, Texas, Oklahoma or whatever hot and humid places are
different.  Some months it might not drop below 80 untill 2 am.  Not enough
cooltime  to dump your accumulated heat.   I do think that you could have a
baking problem with adobe or cob in hot humid climates.   Straw walls seem
most appropriate.  Metal roof.  cross ventilation, porches, high ceilings.
Shade.  All that.

Steve

Subject: Cob: Re baking in earthen walls?