Cob: Re baking in earthen walls?

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Oct 31 20:29:39 CST 2001

This is something I have heard was a problem, especially in the Middle
East, where everyone sleeps on the roof at night, and wind scoops are
the norm to cool down the baked earth walls.   I love cob, but wonder
if  extreme heat areas just soak up those rays all day, and radiate it
INTO the house at night as well as OUT to the night air.  A thick  SB or
sawdust-clay wall ( papercrete etc.) that does not hold heat) may be
best in many environs.

People in MEast  lay fans of woven palms, wetted, to cool the air over
windows.

Remember that in the UK people built with what they had.. Stone was
prevalent in the East, so it got used heavily there, and cob in the West
because there were far less trees and less or no stone to build with.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com