Cob: Lime

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Nov 4 21:30:48 CST 2001

Charmaine,

>Charmaine R Taylor wrote:

.........clipped..

> Darel suggested I confuse others, which is not his claim to make, he can
> say I confused him.

I could make the statement, its not a claim, because somebody previously
wrote that they were confused by the phrase.

>He also told someone who referred to God that
> their beliefs were a waste of time.

Sorry Charmaine, I wrote no such messages to the list with this content
or anything about time wasting.  You owe me an apology there.

> Adding water to lime is extremely dangerous!!
It gets very hot and yes, people need to know what they're doing.
I presume this is why in America you can only get pre-slaked lime.

They use this method to heat food in take out lunches. But, the content
and containers
 are made for it.

> People have been blinded
> by the strong attraction to lime for moisture in the eyes and nose, and
> any skin exposed.
>
> The adage from high school " Do as you outta- add acid to water" stands
> true for lime.

Good warning.

> You are the first person besides the Steens who has ever said they have
> access to quick lime..and look how much you had to do AFTER the simple
> internet search to find it.  I sure have not been able to get my hands
> on any. It concerns me that you DID get quick lime but did not know how
> to handle it safely...who told you to use quicklime and did they not
> explain use?

Lime can be made by firing limestones or oyster shells.  Some people do
it for fun in a little burner.  Doesn't produce realy pure lime though.
You'd need about 800 to 900 Celcius for that.

> Conversely,  hydrated lime delivered and not sitting about for a long
> time is good to use by the average person wanting to experiment.   3
> months or less is best, over that, no.

What happenes to hydrated lime after sitting a long time,say over three
months?

>  I am very aware to soak hydrated
> lime, and have been saying so for 4 years on this list. it gets very
> buttery the longer you mature it.  Fresh quicklime is used in high
> volumes in many industries, and is sold to the builder trades as both
> pebble (lump) hot lime, or slaked,  & kept wet ( not let to dry into
> hydrate) and
> sold in buckets.
>
> There is a difference in fresh quicklime use, and  hydrated lime use.
> But aging any lime for plasters and mortars is a very good thing.

How long is normally recommended here for aging?

> Charmaine Taylor

Darel