Cob: Historic Angkor Architecture

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Nov 5 01:58:19 CST 2001

Historical use of earth and rock:

The 800 to 1200 year old Angkor Thom / Angkor Wat historical momument in
Cambodia is being restored.  Unesco has chosen Japan to perform the
restorating using, according to my sources, the clay-sand/gravel-lime
mixted with a little water and tamped/rammed.

The practice of mixing a clayish soil, sand, and lime with a little
water and tampering or rammming it well has proved over the centeries to
be a semi-permanent material in Japan.  Some have added salt, but its
effect is disputed for now.

Cement was determined to not be suitable or healthy for this old
valuable momument and that the basic lime/clayish eart/sand+gravel would
better suit the structures.

pictures:  http://www.unesco.org/webworld/asia/en/angkor.htm