Cob: Re: baking in earthen walls?

Steve Lewis seaweedsteve at newmexico.com
Sun Nov 4 20:22:34 CST 2001

hey Nigella.

First of all, there are Texas builders who can better answer these questions.
  a..  I understand that high ceilings allow the heat to rise away from where you are.  Maybe it helps ventilation too.
  b.. Maybe ask  Mark VS or somebody about the performance of  Austin - Area Cob. (Actually, he's on the Straw list) . Really,  I was theorizing -  It might actually work fine!  I suspect that earth-coupling and good shade could make a big difference.
  c.. I believe that a shiny or light colored metal roof is acting as a radiant barrier, reflecting some radiation back.  Just like wearing white is cooler than black.   A dark shingle roof should really absorb heat.  Also, a metal roof should have an air gap under it working along with it's ribs/ channels.  This will allow it to ventilate and cool the space under it .  On the other hand, asphalt shingles lay right on the roof decking and  will conduct that heat into the house more readily.

Take some foil and reflect the sun into your face.  Hot, huh?  That's heat that the foil is not absorbing because of it's good reflection quality.  Now put it between your face and the sun.  Did it get cooler?
(I just made this up.  Never tried it.  Hope it supports my argument!)

Steve