Cob: manure use

*Lootvik* lootvik at usermail.com
Wed Nov 7 01:30:05 CST 2001

>I have heard that in Southwest North America that the natives used a cow
>dung as an additive.  They'd add it to the mixture and let it age a
>while.  Does anybody have any data for the effect of adding cow dung to
>adobe mud?
>
>Darel

The Steens and others warn against using dung in your mud.  I _think_ it's
the acidity that prevents a hard set--for example it would neutralize
lime.  Before, I thot it was a good idea because of the digested fibers in it.

I've seen an earthen plaster that had weathered, sifted horse manure
added.  It had added lime, but I'm convinced it was completely
neutralized/useless. It had a hollow/frangible/friable quality after drying.

*Lootvik*