Cob: Re: manure use

Mike Wye mike at mikewye.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 14:14:10 CST 2001

Cow dung seems to be getting a bad press here.
Cow dung was a common stabiliser in cob buildings in South West England. It
reduces plasticity in a clay based earth.
The trampling and mixing of earth involved both man and beast. There's a
view that where animals were used to trample it was no ones job to take the
dung out ;)
Cow dung and lime putty mixes were used as render in some parts of mainland
Britain.
Cow dung, lime putty and sand mixes were used for internal plastering of
chimneys where high temperatures were likely.
Lots of historical background in "Conservation of Clay and Chalk Buildings"
by Gordon Pearson at www.donhead.com
Mike
Mike Wye & Associates,
Traditional & Ecological Building Products
www.mikewye.co.uk
01409-281644
sales at mikewye.co.uk