Cob: Natural Building Workshop in Thailand

janell kapoor janellv at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:16:14 CST 2001

Please forward this onto other interested friends, listserves & calendars.
Thank you. If you'd like to be removed from Kleiwerk's email list please let
us know at janell at kleiwerks.com

NATURAL BUILDING WORKSHOP IN THAILAND
Learn Cob Construction, Thatching and More
January 11th-20th, 2002

Join Kleiwerks Natural Building, The Spirit in Education Movement and The
Garden of Fruition this coming January at Wongsanit Ashram near Bangkok,
Thailand for this first-time international natural building workshop.
Through lots of hands-on practice, demonstrations, presentations and
discussion circles you will learn how to build your own earthen home as well
as be part of a rich and diverse group experience.

Our Project:
We will be building a beautiful cob (monolithic hand-sculpted adobe)
meditation hut with a reed-thatched roof. In merging traditional Thai design
with the sensual organicness of Cob Construction we will include a number of
arches and no straight lines. We will be using indigineous, inexpensive,
ecologically-sound materials such as clay, straw, bamboo and reed.

Our Group & Host:
There is room for 8 westerners to attend this workshop. Through the workshop
fee you will be helping Thai and Burmese participants to attend as well.
Most of the participants will be activists involved with the work of the
Ashram and its larger network which focuses on green politics, social
justice, non-violence, and engaged spirituality.
Wongsanit Ashram hosts a number of workshops as well as Grassroots
Leadership Trainings, Interfaith Solidarity Forest Walks and other
endeavors. Some of our time together will include related discussion circles
and presentations from peole living and working in villages and with NGO's.
For more information about Wongsanit Ashram and the workshop sponsors visit
http://www.sulak-sivaraksa.org/ (click to 'Wongsanit Ashram'). For more
information about Cob Construction and Kleiwerks Natural Building visit
http://www.kleiwerks.com/ (the site will be updated by Dec. 1st).

Our Schedule:
Days will be full with morning and afternoon hands-on sessions (3-4 hours
each), evening circles and delicious Thai meals. We will be living and
sharing with eachother in several languages as well as working in silence
together. There will be time for yoga, meditation and alone time. We will
have one or two half day breaks. Please be prepared for an intensive
experience (this is not a vacation)!

Workshop Fee:
We have had a number of inquiries about this particular workshop and spaces
are limited to 8 westerners so please email us ASAP if you are interested in
joining us this coming January. The workshop fee is a sliding-scale
$800-$300 which includes delicious Thai meals and simple lodging. Please
keep in mind that if you can give more it will help cover the cost of this
project. If you cannot afford the low end of the scale please contact us and
we will work it out. We wish to turn no one away for lack of funds. Again,
please be in touch soon as space is limited.

Flights to Bangkok:
If you are coming from the U.S. (both east and west coast) flights are
available for about $800-850. You can call Jonathan Argento, Fugazy Travel
at 1.800.221.7181. This is the best we have found. If you find a better deal
please let us know. If you are coming from other countries please contact
your favorite travel agent.

Workshop Registration:
To register for this workshop please send a $200 non-refundable deposit to:
Janell Kapoor, 80 1/2 Cumberland Ave., Asheville, NC 28801, USA.
Once you have sent your deposit please inform us via email only. We will
then send you more details. If you have any other questions please feel free
to email us. Hope to see you there. Here's to mud in your eye!

Contact: janell at kleiwerks.com, ashram at cscoms.com &/or suanco at ksc.th.com
Visit: www.sulak-sivaraksa.org and www.kleiwerks.com (updating soon!)