Cob: RE: cleaning earth plaster

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Wed Nov 28 15:38:48 CST 2001

my brother in law and I have both  have painted sections of cob with
regular laytex paint.
He did a much larger area than me, but both of us has resonable results.

I don't have a lot of data yet on the results but on the patch that I
painted outside, somewhat exposed to weather,
it has  lasted so far for about 3 years and the wall around it has been
errording, but the patch is  still doing fine.

I'm going to experiment with this in the kitchen are near the sink and
stove. I don't think that enough area will
be covered as to cause moisture barrier problems. I should have some
results by spring to let you know.

-----Original Message-----
From: lucynda norton [mailto:dragonfly_183 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 3:57 PM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Cob: cleaning earth plaster

    Has anyone had trouble cleaning earth plasters.  I have two kids and
very large dogs and recently painted my stick house in semi gloss so
that
the walls would be scrubbable.  I have read that you can mix a
tablespoon
full of linsead oil per bucket of plaster or natural paint, and I have
read
that any more than that causes a moisture barrier that will cause
problems,
But is one tablespoon full per bucket really enough to make it
scrubable?