Cob: hair/alternative materials/additives.

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Dec 26 21:02:41 CST 2001

Thanks Charmaine,

Charmaine R Taylor wrote:

> Horse and cow hair were used extensively in pure lime and sand
> plasters
> and mortars.  Goat hair is used now in modern times, but human hair is
> too fine and weak, the body hair of the horse not the mane or tail-too
> springy- were combed and used.  polypropylene fibers are now avail in
> little sacks for $3.00 apiece, and lime plasterers use it, as do cement folks.

I always thought that it was the tail and mne hair that was  used.  So
just the body hair.  Seems like it would be too short.

Well there goes my idea of going around to beauty parlors to collect a
lots of human hair for free.

> There is a well documented history thru the Historic Scotland people,
> with cob clay lime and all types of building  researched and put into
> booklets. most of it is for restoration purposes, as they found the
> old
> materials do best- no cement is ever used, or polyfiber.
>
> Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing  << eyeing the neighbor's shaggy goats>>

I found in Japan they also use old aged and naturally bleached hemp
rope.  They'd use old broken hemp ropes, cut them up, wash it, and let
weather outside for a bit.

Another fibre I found used was the strong hairy looking fibre from palm
trees.  This has been used in southern regions.

Darel