Cob: Re: Cob plaster on a conventional wall!

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jan 3 12:07:58 CST 2002

Lath may mean diamond mesh- a very sharp edged wire grid in a diamond
pattern, small openings, about 3' wide x 8' long and costs $5.-6 a sheet
in this area.  Used for cement based stucco plaster mostly, and Kiko is
a HE, maybe you mean Keely Meagan? She is a plastere of SB houses, or
Becky Bee- a she, who builds with cob in OR and the world.

I have heard metal lath is not good for lime plaster use, and it may be
the thick cob coats well, but not sure on rust due to moisture in the
cob..I think this stuff will rust if exposed, but not sure on that
either.  Mesh replaces the  lath of wood, or fiber mesh used since the
1800s- many companies sold rolls of fiber mesh as the best, but it all
tened to sag and pull from the walls when plaster was applied, so metal
solved that for the plasterer, but pure lime plasters doon't  like metal
mesh much.   And the stuff can cut your fingers! very sharp

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534