FW: Cob: clarification on Quick lime vs hydrate

Matthew HALL(SED) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 13:49:43 CST 2002

Dear Charmaine,
My apologies for misinterpreting what you had written.
tms at northcoast.com writes:

>I have not read anything anywhere about  freshly made quicklime being
>added  DIRECTLY to clay. If this is a new process, it's new to me.  None
>of the National Lime inst. info details use this way to my knowledge.

>In your method/ description where does the quicklime GET its water?
I assume that the water for a partial hydration reaction occurs between the highly reactive
quicklime and the trapped water in clays that adheres to the particles by surface tension, ie
bonded water. This would result in a very condensed, yet brittle earth material with high toughness
characteristics and resistance to moisture penetration. As i mentioned, i got this from Julian
Keeble although i have never seen it practised before. We do have access to quicklime so if i ever
try this method of stabilisation i will inform you of any observations i make (as well as any
hideous injuries i sustain).
Regards
Matthew
Matthew Hall - PhD Research Student