Cob: Plastic ...clarification on Quick lime vs hydrate

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Jan 15 21:20:41 CST 2002

Ocean,

> What do you find to be the best way to slake?  Dumping the quicklime
> powder into a garbage can of water?

Yes, to my knowledge in this way you can make a lime cream and control
the heating somewhat.

> VERY important to use a metal can.  Ianto said he did it in a plastic
> one (!!!) and it melted.

I just want to mention that ceramic or earthen vessels can also be used.

This heating phenomena is also used to heat foods in take-out packs.

Darel

p.s. lovely earthen walls in the photos.   Can you tell us about the
materials and mixes used?

 The grass under our garbage can scorched