Cob: Re: stain for concrete floors

Frances Grill grill at vtc.net
Mon Jan 28 06:33:49 CST 2002

Greetings,The most commune method I've used for "staining" concrete is to
use colored powders that can be troweled into the wet cement. I've just
finished a Terra cota colored floor in my bathroom  using this technique. If
you are mixing your own concrete you can add it to the entire mix. This
makes one monolithic slab of colored concrete. If you trowel it into the
surface you are staining the top 1/2 inch whhich is usually sufficient. On
exterior surfaces I just broom the finish . On an interior surface I add the
color after my final floating,then hard trowel the finish to get a glass
like effect. One can then either seal the finish with paste type sealers or
a harder eurathane to prevent staining from kitchen grease or spills.There
are several colors available. There is also a number of liquid products, but
I think the dry color is easiest to work with.Good luck