Cob: stain for concrete floors

GrenSheltr at aol.com GrenSheltr at aol.com
Sun Feb 17 07:55:52 CST 2002

several weeks ago I mentioned Malcolm Wells' suggestion for stained floors -
several people asked me to elaborate - so here goes from his "How to Build an
Underground House"

pour floor, screed and leave rough - yes rough -- he feels that the
construction work will level out the rough spots - when all other work is
done and floor is swept and thoroughly vacuumed - use a cheap sealer first -
watery-milky looking concrete sealers will do - or even cheaper use a big jug
of white Elmers mixed with several parts of water (just keeps expensive stain
mixture from soaking in too much)  mix three parts urethane floor sealer with
1 part wood stain, give floor two coats with a long handled roller - mixture
will be deepest in tiny grooves in concrete - he recommends Minwax Jacobean -
looks like leather

Linda Lloyd -  in Pennsylvania I used a green stain and it gave a wonderful
mottled look and was great five years later even with heavy dog traffic