Cob: concrete stain/colors

Steve Lewis seaweedsteve at newmexico.com
Mon Jan 28 19:48:52 CST 2002

Hi all.  I'm always interested in coloring concrete and cementious materials.  I've been using oxides, as Frances Grill suggested, for years.  They work great, although I personally don't care for broadcasting it on the surface.  It's a pain to trowel it in well and the coloring is superficial, not 1/2" deep, in my experience.  It also can get too dense in places, weakening the cement, then chipping off.

I prefer to mix the oxides into the mix or  make a cream of cement, coloring and fine sand and trowel that onto the rough surface of the grey concrete.  This allows finishing to be done at a later date or on top of an old slab.  Clean it well and use admixture if it's old.

As far as STAINS go,  check out Ferrous Sulfate and others.  Here's a quote:
"Ferrous sulfate and ferric nitrate will stain stucco towards reddish or golden-brown. The color will vary with the absorption of the wall, leaving a blotchy, or mottled look. Do not expect this type of staining to look like a paint job."

Ferrous sulfate is sold as a soil conditioner at any garden supply, wallmart or home depot.  Saturate in water and paint or spray on.  Repeat as desired.

Also, there are the professional acid stains.  Here's a good link:

http://www.concrete-stains.com/

Steve