Cob: Size of buildings

planetcow planetcow at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 10:43:54 CST 2002

Hi. I've been reading the postings to the list for quite a few months now
and have come up with a question. Actually, I have many questions but this
is the most basic one I can think of; I'll be back with more, rest assured.

OK, I'd like to build a cob house on some gently sloping land (which is the
subject of another question, but we'll deal with that another time) that I
own in West Virginia. I've read and heard many times that cob construction
favors small buildings. When does a "small" building stop being "small" and
start becoming "medium" or "large"? Numbers would be helpful; I'm thinking
900-1000 square feet for a single story house, or split between two stories
of 400-500 sf each, is a good size. Is this too big?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Tulasi