Cob: $500 ??#$"#$!

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Jan 30 20:22:00 CST 2002

Jennifer,
  I don't know if anyone ever got back to on your requeset, but I'll
give me 2 cents.

Jennifer Roberts wrote:

> I would also be interested in finding out how to estimate building
> costs. Right now I am working full time as a secretary, and I would
> have to leave my position before I begin building. My soil is 10-15%
> clay, the rest sand. Did Yanto and Linda's $500 include well, septic,
> etc.?

No way.  Not even close.  Whoever tells you $500 dollars is not giving
you even a tiny microscopic piece of the picture, if you are planning to
build a building to live in.   Not to mention that there is no imputed
labor costs there.

1.) septic tanks, just the tanks alone can cost $2,000 or more.
2.) digging trenches for it, gravel for the trenches, hole the the tank,
3.) plumbing work to the toilet, sinks, etc.
4.) pipes, faucets, and other materials.
5.) water connection
6. a toilet itself might go for $50 at least, sink and fixtures
similarly.
7. how about a tub and shower for cleaning yourself.
8. any doors or windows.

6. roof, materials and labor

The list goes on.
But, never ever, believe jokers who say you can build for $500.  It is
very misleading for people to say $500.   The only way possible is to
not mention reality and to have people provide labor for free and to get
all the materials for free and material transport and then get the
building department to give you a free building permit.   Even without
the building permit the $500 is wrong.   You might be able to build a
little cob shed for that, but with no facilities for living in it as
like a kitchen, bath, sinks, toilet, heaters, windows, etc.

Heck building permits alone if you are going that way can be in the
hundreds $.

> Does anyone know how many square feet the building was? I am
> also planning on having an attic, so I would need some wood for the
> floor.
>
> Thanks,
>
> [Image] Jennifer

Darel