Cob: Size of buildings

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Jan 31 00:05:45 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Jennifer Roberts wrote:

> Would a smaller cob structure with a liveableĀ attic be any easier?
> I am just thinking there would be more square feet for property codes
> and less taking up of land by going up instead of out.

This is essentially what Linda and Ianto's cottage is, with a loft
where the attic would be.

> Is it possible to finish a "medium" building in one season?

Yes, even a large building can easily be done in one season, the problem
is one of having enough time and man/woman power to do it.  You can
of course reduce the time/labor requirements by getting lots of help
(either hired or volunteers) and/or using mechanical aides to mix the
cob.  I have heard of at least one case where a woman and her young
daughter built a 400 - 500 square foot house by themselves in one
season.  I believe that all the cob was done the hard way, using just
hands and feet.