Cob: Ianto's house

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Jan 31 01:21:02 CST 2002

Those are nice pictures and a lovely country setting.

It is what I'd call a hybrid house, with the northern walls being cobbed
and the southern walls being what look like standard wood siding on the
second floor over nice large windows on the first floor.

Does anybody have any details about utilities.
  a.) toilet      flush or compost
  b.) hot water (on demand or heat it in a pot on the wood stove, or
coleman gas stove?, or other?)
  b.) shower/bath facilities or jump in the creek?
  c.) kitchen sink  wash in the creek?
  d.) I guess the heating is direct solar and the wood stove?  stove
wood is easily available it seems
  e.) Any roof insulation used?  light clay or there?

I hope they have good movable insulation for those first floor glass
doors for during the cold nights.

Last question and I don't care either way on this, but some people
should now that there are differences in what is required in a legal
residential building, i.e., with the required building permits and
bootlegged buildings.   I just advise anyone building to consider what
they are building and see if there will be any problems with the
building department etc.  You don't want to build something then be told
to tare it down.  If that's not a problem do what you want.  Just be a
knowledgeable builder about what can go wrong in this area.

Darel