Cob: structural cob /3-D panels

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Feb 6 00:03:22 CST 2002

Here's my quick impression of the 3d product you mentioned.

The below statement by the company is not accurate.

"Insulation in the center causes maximum energy savings due to the
thermalmass effect of a concrete sandwich. "

In the sense that the best place for the insulation is outside the
northern wall.  And for the southern wall you'd be keeping the warmed up
wall's heat from getting inside.

Regarding the cob application:  Since the product uses a "welded wire
fabric" cob, will not adhere to it well.   When applying cob to a mesh,
known as "wattle and daub", the best meshes making material as far as I
know are willow branches, 3-4 year bamboo rods cut in November, and I
believe some people have used a a coarse gunny sack like material for a
mesh, but its liable to sag under the weight.  For the cloth mesh it
could be better used for an finish layer soil plaster over a cob wall.
Some like the mesh's pattern comming through a thin finish coat.

Darel