Cob: strawbale/cob on the inside

Kerry Doran kerdor at alberta.com
Mon Feb 11 23:46:21 CST 2002

Just thinking about building in my area, cold Alberta Canada.  I am a
huge lover of the cob concept but in my climate I am feeling and have
been told by experienced  cobbers that it may not be a positive thing
for up to  -30*C weather.

OK so I think to myself and I say:
"Self,  what about strawbale, and cob on the interior?"

Of course I answer myself.  "Sounds like a damn fine idea."

Now, if I  prepare my interior walls with   stucco, cob, whatever ( to
cover the bales)  how do I attach  cob structure (ie.  furniture, stoves)
to these prepped walls without the cob structures falling off? Do I have
to cob around rebar attached to my walls?  Is my idea feasable?  Will
my house move and crack the interior cob?

Any ideas would be great.

Kerry
--
Kerry Doran