Cob: strawbale/cob on the inside

Tom Fetter tom_fetter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:26:33 CST 2002

As another Albertan interested in cob buildings, I've been a bit surprised
that some folks haven't realized the necessity of insulation when building
in as extreme a climate as this one.  There's simply no way that an
uninsulated wall of any material can collect and hold enough solar gain to
counter weeks on end of daytime temperatures averaging -20 degrees, with
night temperatures another 10-15 degrees colder.  Even the most efficient
thermal flywheel has to deal with long-term ambient temperature as well as
solar gain.  I have also wondered about a hybrid, using strawbales on the
outside, cob on the inside ... or maybe a 4-6 inch thick layer of
cob/earthen plaster on the inside of strawbales to get the thermal mass
benefits.

The stumbling block in my mind has always been how to adequately protect an
external earthen plaster from cracking/spalling in the repeated freeze/thaw
cycles we regularly have at either end of the winter.  Through November, and
then again for about 7 weeks in early Spring, we often have humid days (as
snow/ice melts) and freezing nights. This regularly cracks commercial bricks
that haven't been fired at high enough temperatures to resist taking up
moisture.  Given that, it makes me feel doubtful that a wide roof overhang
and a high foundation would be adequate to protect unfired earth.  I'd
appreciate any ideas ....

Tom Fetter.