Cob: re: cob/strawbale ???

Kate Searfoss cob4k8 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 23:36:14 CST 2002

Greetings!

    I have been folowing this thread with interest because I may need to
build hybrid.  Bear in mind that I know just a bit shy of nothing(i.e. no
experience.) The idea that keeps kicking around in my brain is a way to keep
the solar or heating gain in the cob from "leaking' out to the strawbale
insulation on the northerly walls.

    Maybe someone can clue me in as to the feasibility of putting a layer of
cob on the strawbale, then a sheet of aluminum foil reflecting toward the
interior, finishing with the rest of my cob wall.   My thinking is that a
none continuous layer of reflective material would reflect heat back into
the house and still not create a vapor barrier.

   I don't think the cost would be prohibitive.

   Let me know what you think.

  curious,

    k8

"GRRRRRRRRRRRRR       DAMN THE PERMITS. FULL SPEED AHEAD.

plant a barrier hedgerow and build behind it!"

David Knowlton '01