Cob: Women's Carpentry Course & More

janell kapoor janellv at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 03:56:14 CST 2002

Please post or pass this onto interested friends, calenders & listserves. If
you are interested in attending be in touch soon as we are filling quickly.
There are more workshops listed below for both women and men. If you want to
be removed from our mailing list just let us know.

WOMEN'S CARPENTRY COURSE: A hands-on intensive week for women who have never
built before or who want to learn more.
Asheville, NC, USA
April 20-27, 2002
Instructor: Jessica Kirby

Join a circle of women at an 80 acre camp in the beautiful Blue Ridge
Mountains. Together we will be completing a garden shed which was started in
our 1st women's workshop last Fall. Through  demonstrations, teamwork and
hands-on practice you will learn basic carpentry skills. Be prepared for an
intensive experience of hard work, lots of learning and fun including
everyday work sessions, classroom time, a slideshow, fire and massage
circles and yummy meals! Through this hands-on experience you will learn how
to:

* build & install windows & doors
* cut and attach exterior siding & interior panelling
* use & maintain tools
* choose appropriate materials for your building project
* some basics of natural building & more

No experience is necessary.
Sliding scale (you decide) $325-$725 includes delicious organic vegetarian
meals, camping & tuition. Some scholarships are available for women of
color.

TO REGISTER:
Send a $200 non-refundable deposit in the form of a US postal money order
to:
"Janell Kapoor"
80 1/2 Cumberland Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801.
Once you've registered let us know by email at janell at kleiwerks.com. We will
then send you more details with directions. Early registration is
encouraged.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Email janell at kleiwerks.com or visit www.kleiwerks.com

Other upcoming workshops open to WOMEN & MEN:

10 DAY ADOBE, COB & EARTHEN PLASTER COURSE IN THAILAND:
Learn How to Build Your Own Earthen Home
March 15-24, 2002
Instructors: Joe Jandai, Janell Kapoor & Michel Spaan
Cost: Sliding scale $300-800 for foreigners; 4,000 Baht for Thai
Contact: janell at kleiwerks.com

2 DAY HANDS-ON EARTHEN PLASTERS & PAINTS:
Come join us for some Springtime fun in the mud! Using clay, mica, milk,
manure, flour, fibers and other organic ingredients we will be mixing and
applying earthen plasters and paints by actually doing it on the walls of a
naturally built (Strawclay & Cob) pottery studio. You'll be amazed at the
beautiful & colorful finishes you can get with all natural materials. You'll
learn how to use these techniques to complete an earthen structure or to
naturally finesse your own home.
Asheville, NC, USA
May 11 & 12, 2002
Instructor: Janell Kapoor
Cost: $100 if you register with a friend includes camping, 3 meals &
tuition; $125 for individuals; $50 for children.
To register: Call Troy Amastar at 828.683.3405

10 DAY ADOBE, STRAWCLAY & COB COURSE:
Learn How to Build Your Own Earthen Home.
Black Mountain, NC, USA
Late August, 2002.
Instructors: Janell Kapoor & others
Stay tuned for more info.