Cob: roof insulation

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Mar 5 12:24:01 CST 2002

Hi Shawn, the much touted R factor for papercrete has NEVER been
officially tested but is often given as 2.6 per inch. If you err to the
low side and say R2, then that gives you an idea.

Papercrete may have more insulation value per inch than flat stack
sheets of cardboard because more air is entrapped in the 'crete.

Even if you use rolls of sawdust ( kraft paper tubes filled with sawdust
and stacked to maximum surface touching between them) as Ken Kern did (
and wrote about) you'd have more value than flat paper I woould think.

remember papercrete is an IDEA...use a sawdust -clay slurry with a bit
of lime, and you'll  havea nice lightweight, fairly fireproof, bug
resistant ceiling/wall filler. I've made a lot of these, and you don't
have to shred the paper of course, saving a LOT of trouble, just mix the
clay and sawdust.  German builder Frank Andresen uses a woodchip-clay
mix for walls and ceiling blocks, bricks, rolls and more.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com