Cob: Re: new to cob info sources

hallsoi hallsoi at netvigator.com
Thu Mar 7 07:13:46 CST 2002

Hi Sean,
Apart from finding a good book on cob, and there are now a few around, I would offer the following:
My advice would be to first of all look at cob structures that have stood the test of time that are in the sort of environment that you are wishing to build.  This could save a lot of wheel-reinventing.
Secondly, if I were building myself (which would involve an unbelievable amount of MY energy), I would want to optimise on the cob mix design (e.g. minimal amount of clay for easy working, maximum amount of gravel as bulk filler) to make my life easier.  I would look very seriously at what materials are immediately available on site and maximise their use to save importing.  A bit of brain effort at this stage could save a hell of a lot of brawn effort (and time) later.
Thirdly, I wouldn't ask too much of the cob, structurally speaking.  Certainly it should take the roof load, but not a lot else.  And talking about roofs, cob does need a good roof overhang to protect it from the elements.
Good luck in your quest, and I hope this is helpful.
John Hall.