Cob: bicycle powered cob mixer

brian besold buffalokiller at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:23:17 CST 2002

Hello. The following message was received by Michelle Brooks, who suggested
that I foward it to this address for potential ideas with my project. Thanks
in advance for anything, Brian.

I'm interested in building a bicycle-powered cob mixer. I have some ideas,
but without having ever worked with cob, there are things that I need to ask
some of you who have worked with cob. I'll explain my ideas so far. These
are based on the use of a cement mixer, but I'm also wondering if a cement
mixer, since it's so heavy to begin with, is the best container to use.
Initially, I thought I'd use the drive-train from the bike- connect it to
the gear on the mixer and it's done. The problem comes when it's time to
dump the mix. Either the drive-train on the bike has to disconnect or the
bike has to dump with the mixer. As fussy as I've found home-made chain and
gear driven toys to be, I don't think this is the best design. A simple
friction drive where the mixer rests on the back wheel of the bike might
work though. The back of the bike will be mounted on a stand lifting the
back wheel off of the ground, and be completely independent of the mixer.
I'm wondering if mixing the cob will even be possible though. Will it be too
heavy to get the mixer rotating?  Can anyone tell me where I might be able
to get an old cement mixer(w/out a motor) to play with?