Cob: bicycle powered cob mixer

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Sat Mar 16 02:22:01 CST 2002

The proposed "bicycle powered cob (cement) mixer" is an example of the lack
of realistic info being blended with a supposed environmental solution...to
a problem that doesn't exist!

I think the problem arose from the fact that the folks who are organizing
the Natural Building Convergence this May in Portland are planning to do
four different cob projects, and intend from the start to use cement mixers
to mix the cob.

Brian, I must say it is unfortunate that you don't seem to know that cob is
best mixed by human power to begin with...not a bicycle-powered mixer (which
even if you could build--I agree with your reservations--you'd never get the
thing turning the heavy mix that cob is)...but with our own two FEET!!!

Ianto and Linda are big on emphasizing that THE FEET are the only way to mix
cob, so much so that folks seem to "rebel" a bit and go whole hog out the
other way, and mix with as big a tractor as possible. We in fact use a
tractor to mix cob at the restaurant (http://www.intabas.com), and up at the
Garden Kiva (http://www.peacemaking.org)

The reason to mix with a machine is lack of human power (not enough FEET)
and a time constraint.  Cement mixers aren't very useful anyway, since to
mix well one must first puree the clay in 50 gallon buckets with a half-inch
drill and a drywall mixer paddle.  But if you don't have time and you do
have the machinery, cob can be machine mixed.  It only uses a little
electricity, so I wouldn't worry about trying to save the environment by
hooking up a bicycle to the contraption.

No, if you want to "go green" and mix cob by human power, please just take
off your shoes and stomp it, the good, old-fashioned, "Cob Cottage" way.
Ianto and Linda will be proud of you!

Ocean