Cob: Re: Tropical homes

Arlie Haig ajhaig at sonic.net
Sat Mar 16 04:04:19 CST 2002

Hi, thanks David and others with good info.
I did specify some vertical vents with rotating flaps to catch the wind from
either direction, they will be on the back of the house which is about 3
feet from a 10' high clay bank, with a hardwood stand above. My idea is to
bring in cool air from this shady area the vent it out the front at the roof
line.
The basic house plan to date is cement foundation, tile covered floor,
cement block to about 3 feet up, then wood up to a tin roof, 6mx9m (54 sq m)
to start. I plan to use bamboo for internal walls, ceiling and some
furniture. Already have a good source for custom bamboo products in CR -
thanks to Timothy Ivory's advice I will only use... "guaduas which is
stronger than any other bamboo...do not build with bambusa vulgaris".
The other advice from John Schinnerer, to camp on the land, is something I
tried to do last week when I was there, but only managed a few hours. The
building site faces East and is shady beginning in early afternoon. Local
people are building for me, I trust their judgement and decisions in these
areas.
I am attempting to find a potter for a sink, the only one anyone knows about
is on an Reserva Indigena near Buenos Aires, halfway between San Vito, where
I am located, and San Isidro, where the bamboo factory is. It seems I really
need to be there more than I have been able to, to make the connections and
arrangements.
Thanks,
Arlie