Cob: Re:

hallsoi hallsoi at netvigator.com
Sat Mar 16 10:52:44 CST 2002

This is interesting, particularly in view of Ocean's recent commendable and
realistic view on the same subject.
Cement-type mixers are designed for mixing a plastic fluid with easily
mixable ingredients and a whole load of water.  The pummeling of thick
traditional cob doesn't fall into this category, so this type of mixer is
not appropriate.  Riding your bike with mountain bike tyres over the cob mix
might be better, if you do want to use a bike.
Cattle or horses could be used to pummel the stuff into what you want (and
would no doubt even add their own contribution to the mix!).  Indeed the
same principal has been used for engineering purposes in the past to puddle
clay (e.g. flocks of sheep were repetitively driven over clay cores to dams
in order to puddle the clay to the appropriate consistency and required
impermeabilty). Knowledgeable contributions have also been recently sent to
this list in the past by exponents of the cob art from Devon, where they
claim this form of production was prevalent in the past.
I can only see minor logistical problems, that I'm sure could be easily
overcome, at least on a largeish projects, by introducing this sort of
production.
John Hall.