Cob: bicycle powered cob mixer

dtebb dtebb at alternatives.com
Tue Mar 19 04:00:57 CST 2002

Re: the latest discussion on bikes and cement mixers.

I just wanted to clarify for some that normally we do not use cement mixers
but rather mortar mixers. The paddle action is very different, with mortar
mixers flipping the cob around. I understand that cement mixers don't
really work. We bought a mortar mixer and find that it does work very well
with certain types of clay that is softer and easily screened and also
without large rocks. With the clay either screened or slurried, which takes
time itself, we can make a large batch of cob in about 8 minutes, maybe
less. I also find screening clay can be very relaxing, a good solitary
task and causing minimal strain on the body. Also, if the mortar mixer is
set up right so you are not lifting heavy buckets up to shoulder hight, it
can be alot easier on the body. With a mortar mixer we are able to make a
lot more cob with just a couple of people than by foot. But don't get me
wrong, I still enjoy mixing by foot especially when there are lots of
people to help. As for using a bike, I question whether you could get
enough power to mix cob. It is very heavy, but a bike may work well in
mixing clay slurries and plasters. I would really encourage experimentation
with this.

Ian