[nbc] Cob: bicycle powered cob mixer

brian besold buffalokiller at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 05:54:20 CST 2002

I'm sorry to anyone who was offended by the masculine minority comment. I
wasn't implying "man" or "woman" by writing it, more so that by telling me I
am wrong, that I am waisting my time, and in general not being very
supportive, is a very masculine attitude to take. It's just not very
nuturing. It's the attitude that I grew up with- men around me always
insistent on reminding me that I was "waisting" my time. What else should I
be doing with it? Yes, I understand that you all feel you are helping by
what you have said. Charmaine, I am sorry that you feel like I have no
interest in learning the traditional ways of cobbing. You are wrong. I just
haven't had the opportunity yet. Hopefully I will spend my summer cobbing. I
haven't been this excited about the thought of doing something like this in
a long time. You don't know me and you're generalizing me, categorizing me.
I'm just someone who loves bicycles, has access to old bikes and parts, and
knows how to weld. The goal is to come up with a device that will allow the
convergence project in Portland to not have to rely on electricity, and
maybe save some money that would have to be spent on renting mixing
machines. Until the mention of mortar mixers rather than cement mixers, I
thought that the cement mixer was a sensible alternative to foot power.
Pottery clay is mixed using paddle mixers, why can't cob? My main intention
is to have fun trying to do this, so again I thank all of you for the help-
in any way. Brian.