Cob: Cob Mixer or press? Also hot Oklahoma weather.

Kenn Goodson kgoods at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 22 18:31:34 CST 2002

Hello All,

I'm new to the list and new to cob, but very, very intrigued. I've read
through Michael G. Smith's book a couple of times and have experimented with
mixing cob loaves to test tensile strength etc. What fascinating stuff. I've
been mulling over the following method of mixing, but I wanted to see if
someone else has tried it yet. I will probably end up being a solo builder,
and I need a means of expediting the process, but not too much. As the
Benedictines say, "Work is Prayer."

I was thinking of a cob press, rather than a cob mixer. Imagine taking
clay/sand slip, not runny, but somewhat wet, layered with straw, and then
pressed under pressure--I'm thinking hydraulic ram here, most on the list
would probably prefer something human powered--rotated 90 degrees and pressed
again. It would be trivial to build a steel box with a screened side to allow
excess water out, and a moving side attached to the hydraulic ram. Depending
on resources, I'm thinking of batches in the 1/3 yard range (small
wheelbarrow full) at a time in the press. The pressure would help express any
excess water and push the straw/slip mixture together. It's the closest idea
I have come up with that would imitate the pressure of human or animal feet.

If anyone has any comment on this, I would love to hear it. Please feel free
to poke as many holes as possible into this idea.  Criticism will only make
it better.

Secondly, how does cob with it's large thermal mass behave in hot/humid
climates? I'm in central Oklahoma, and there are those dog days of late
summer where the daytime temps get into the 105 degree range and nights never
even get below the eighties. And this with ridiculous humidity levels.
Anybody with experience with this type of climate?

Many thanks!
Peace to you all,
Kenn G