Cob: Press/mixer ideas

Kenn Goodson kgoods at prodigy.net
Sat Mar 23 08:09:59 CST 2002

Charmaine, Ocean and All,

Thanks for the suggestions and always the infectious enthusiasm with which
you all seem to write.

Ocean suggests that human power is probably better if it is possible, and I
couldn't agree more.  That's the beauty of hydraulics.  It's a force
multiplier, and doesn't necessarily have to be machine powered.  Instead of a
machine powered hydraulic ram providing the force, a good old hydraulic
barrel jack could provide the force needed.  Also, there are human powered
pumps that can be attached to a larger ram, but I am not sure that so much
force would be required.  Come to think of it, a vane pump could be bicycle
powered with appropriate gearing. Hmmm, that just occurred to me.  But now I
am reinventing the wheel again.  Stop me before someone gets hurt.

Charmaine, I wasn't thinking of compressing the material so much that it
would make a brick, although I admit I hadn't even considered that
possibility, which isn't such a bad idea. This is why I love these open
forums like this. Open source is great! I was only thinking of applying
enough pressure to bond the mix together and express a little excess water,
and then apply the mix to the wall, like conventional cob.  The press would
not be a 6 sided device, only five sides.  It would be more of a large open
pan where one side is always open, and after the rammed side is retracted the
material could be forked out and used conventionally.

My goal, since I will probably end up as a solo builder, for a variety of
reasons, is to speed up the process without compromising the quality of the
result.  I've looked at the numbers, and they get large pretty quick.  Just
as an example, a foot thick wall with just a 60 foot perimeter and 5 feet
tall adds up to  300 cubic feet of material.  That's a lot of material for
one average joe to move and place.

Anyway, I am still doodling various floor plans and searching for a pile of
dirt to start building on, so I have lots of time to learn and learn and
learn some more.

Many thanks to you all!
Kenn