Cob: New to list/question

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Mar 25 00:11:51 CST 2002

Steffan, and other new persons,

> I just joined the list as we are seriously considering building a cob home on our
> property.  I would like to ask one question if I may though; is it true that after
> completing your home that it must then “cure” for 1 year?

Someone answered this already, as no.

I just wanted to add a warning to people that cob should not be applied
during cold spells in which temperature gets below 32 Fahrenheit.  With
wind chill possibilities I wouldn't do cob when the temperature is under
40 degrees.

For Northern climes, the optimal season to build, is (depending of
actual location of course) later spring when frosty nights and mornings
are gone.  Maybe start in April or May and work on till the end of
September.

It should be given some time to dry & age before the frost seasons hits
in my opinion.

Darel