Cob: Earthen plaster over plywood siding?

Carl Vilbrandt carl at ggpl.org
Mon Apr 8 20:25:12 CDT 2002

Dear et. al.,  The original post and main idea behind the plywood post
is that the use of any organic materials for human dwellings on a large
scale is basically not sustainable.  If you use organic materials to
keep your investment you must use some toxic material to kill the mold
and fungi that eat on the organic materials.  Some quick calculations
will show, that the amount of toxic material in "the modern building
materials" is not sustainable practice.  This is the reason to use cob
and other earthen arts to create buildings.

1. The right to know what you are using is important.   Many materials
we use that are very toxic and we do not know about it and that means
that we can not make good decisions on there use.   It is the fact that
we do not know about it not that toxic materials are available.
The contents of glues and many other materials commonly used commonly
are not labeled.  Why if plywood had the amount of toxic material
labeled on it we would not use as much plywood and if we did we would
use it in a much better way.    The toxic right to know is a very
important idea.  The right to know what you are using is even more
important.   If the composite building materials you are using does not
have a complete listing of there contents don't use them until you get a
complete listing.  Find suppliers that will give a complete list of
contents.  As a consulting engineer using computers I could not get the
a complete listing of materials used excuse proprietary mixtures,
ownership which is not true just hiding the fact the the materials are
toxic as hell. Most all building materials use are toxic .... most
glues are toxic.  All caulking is toxic. Most outside paint is toxic.
I suggest that the cob group get a list of building materials and the
amount of toxin involved.

2.  A word about animal products used as in building material.... Water
is in short supply.  The continue use of meat at the scale its being use
is clearly not sustainable. The industrialization of food production has
created the BSD that threatens us all.  This makes the use of animal
products a bio hazard.

3. The use of the entire animal as conservation given the environment
damming cause by the practices of the industrialization of food
production is not at all a good idea and it is hard to be seen as
conservation of anything but the continued distraction of the
environment. In the past the use of the whole animal and the use of
animals as a kind of food storage device at the scale of the their use.
Eating meat beef cattle now instead of being feed other animals are
eating for the most part chicken shit and ground up concrete beef cheap,
but very environmentally expensive Mac,

4.  Scale is very important even non toxic materials at a given scale
and mixture of use become toxic.  What we did in the past for 1 billion
people does not scale for 6 to 8 billion.

Best regards
cArl - :-))