Cob: Earthen plaster over plywood siding?

Carl Vilbrandt carl at ggpl.org
Sun Apr 7 23:43:09 CDT 2002

Peter - The glue was not blood based, but plastic based it however contained
blood.  As of three years ago blood was still used in the mix.   Boise Cascade
plywood could not find a (blood as a sorta substrate connections) replacement.
It seemed the size of the blood platelets gave the surface area necessary for
high strength. ( they said that and I have no idea ).  I wanted to try to get
them to drop the blood from the mix.  Dried blood is so small it is very hard to
handle.   They were spending a lot of money at that time to replace the dry
animal blood material handlers.  They were also reducing the size of the trees
that could be use from a minim of 12 inches to 6 inches.

I worked with the one company that makes most of the glue mixing machines for
the plywood plants in the USA and most of the plants I was told by the glue
salesman were still used blood at that time he said.  He told me that he thought
that one or two were not.......  again not blood based, but blood in the mix
none the less and they all used some type of toxin for fungus and mold.... most
all wood glues and caulking does with few exceptions.
The real problem is what and how much is used does not have to be on the label.
The toxic right to know about building material is very important.

What on earth would replace blood platelets in terms of size other than some bio
substance that was cheap....  I suspect that may be PR mis info is at work....
Do you work at a plywood plant or have you recently been in a plywood plant.....
or do you know a supplier of the materials.  What real practice and stated
practice is are very different.

Thanks for the heads up I will check with some people back at the plant and see
what's up.  Things do change.